Sailing to the British Virgin Islands in the Caribbean 1500
Satellite Weather Images
|This is an example of a satellite weather image, reduced in size to fit on this page (click the image to see it actual size, use your browser's "back" command to return here). This image is for 0800 UTC November 2, 2007 and shows Hurricane Noel heading up the coast.
These are color-enhanced satellite weather images for southeastern North America, the western North Atlantic, the entire Caribbean, the Gulf of Mexico, and northern South America (including Central America). The images have outlines around the land masses plus latitude/longitude lines. All the images are courtesy of the Atmospheric Science Program at Ohio State University (internet link below).
I have a whole set of images covering 0800 UTC November 2, 2007 through 1200 UTC November 21, 2007 with six images per day (every four hours). The images are "GIF" files that run about 230kb each. Here's a list of all the images I have available on my web site. Unfortunately, I haven't found an internet source for archived satellite weather images. The site where I got these images deletes them after 30 days, so they are no longer available. However, you can get recent satellite images, see the internet link below.
- Full set of 116 images in a zip file - Note: 25.6 megabytes! To use this file, download it to your hard disk and unzip the individual images into a folder. Then double-click on the first image to open "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" (or similar image browser) and use the cursor keys to step through the images (put the images into motion).
- Individual images are available by downloading any of the files listed below (listed as Year-Month-Day-Hour):
Internet Links For This Section
- Atlantic Enhanced IR Satellite Images - I mentioned above that this site only provides satellite images for the last 30 days. To obtain these recent images, click this link, then scroll to the bottom of the page for "Archived Imagery", click on "Enhanced IR" for the Atlantic Region to get a list of available images, then click each of the provided links one at a time. Once an image is fully displayed, right-click on the image, select "Save Picture As...", and specify a location on your hard disk. Then use your browser's "back" command to go back to the list of provided links, and click the next link to get the next image.
- OSU Weather Server - you can download lots of weather data from the server of the Atmospheric Science Program at Ohio State University
- Atmospheric and Climatic Studies Program - at Ohio State University