Sailing to the British Virgin Islands in the Caribbean 1500
Surface Analysis Weather Maps
|This is an example of a surface analysis map, reduced in size to fit on this page (click the map to see it actual size, use your browser's "back" command to return here). This map is for 0000 UTC November 2, 2007 and shows Hurricane Noel heading up the coast.
These maps show the current weather for eastern North America, the western North Atlantic, the northern Caribbean, and the Gulf of Mexico. The maps show highs and lows, fronts, isobars, and some wind speed and direction information. All the maps are courtesy of the National Climatic Data Center (internet link below).
I have a whole set of maps covering 0000 UTC November 2, 2007 through 1800 UTC November 20, 2007 with four maps per day (every six hours). The maps are "GIF" files that run about 150kb to 160kb each. Here's a list of all the maps I have available on my web site; if you want other maps, see the internet link below. By the way, as publications of the U.S. government, these maps are not copyrighted and can be freely copied, see the internet link below.
- Full set of 76 maps in a zip file - Note: 10.9 megabytes! To use this file, download it to your hard disk and unzip the individual maps into a folder. Then double-click on the first map to open "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" (or similar image browser) and use the cursor keys to step through the maps (put the maps into motion).
- Individual maps are available by downloading any of the files listed below (listed as Year-Month-Day-Hour):
Internet Links For This Section
- Western Atlantic Surface Analysis - To obtain weather maps for any particular date range, click this link, select "Ocean Analysis", click "Continue", select "Western Atlantic Surface Analysis", click "Continue", specify the desired date range, click "Continue", then click each of the provided links one at a time. Once a map is fully displayed, right-click on the map, select "Save Picture As...", and specify a location on your hard disk. Then use your browser's "back" command to go back to the list of provided links, and click the next link to get the next map.
- National Climatic Data Center - to see a list of free downloadable weather maps, click this link, then click the link "Free Data", then on the next page scroll down and click the link "SRRS Weather Maps".
- NOAA Free Data Policy - Explains that the data is public domain and that online data is available for free; this is at the very end of the document. The other statements about recovering cost is if you want to order a data set on CD-ROM; various organizations are exempted from this cost recovery.