Volunteer crew, local or long distance, sail or power. I'll pay for my own expenses (including food and transportation to/from boat), the skipper/owner pays for all boat expenses.
Liveaboard cruiser since 1998 (aboard Sunspot, a Fast Passage 39 cutter), former computer engineer, mature and responsible attitude with careful attention to detail, good work ethic, adaptable and flexible, easy to get along with, good sense of humor. Extensive experience in sailboat maintenance, repair, and refitting (especially good with wiring and plumbing, plus general mechanical work). Extensive experience in all aspects of sailboat operation (including GPS and radar, have Extra class amateur radio license AA3YI).
Total sailing mileage: On my boat about 3,300 nm, as crew about 6,440 nm, total about 9,740 nm. Mileage includes protected waters, coastal cruising, and ocean voyaging, as well as 70 nights at sea over the course of 20 offshore passages.
- October and November 2007 - Crewed for Jeff Edwards aboard Night Heron, a Brewer 52 cutter. Before departing, assisted with boat work for a couple of weeks, then sailed from Portsmouth, Virginia, to Road Town, Tortola, in the British Virgin Islands, as part of the Caribbean 1500 Rally. The trip was over 1,500 nm and took 15 days, with some heavy weather.
- May and June 2007 - Crewed for Jerome Zukosky aboard Pilgrim, a Tayana 42 cutter, on three separate occasions: two shakedown cruises on Chesapeake Bay (about 10 days, total), then a voyage from Annapolis to New York City (via the C&D canal) which was about nine days.
- March to June 2004 - Crewed for David and Marcie Lynn aboard Nine of Cups, a Liberty 45 cutter, on a voyage from mainland Ecuador to the Galapagos, then on to Easter Island and beyond. Over 4,000 nm of ocean voyaging on the South Pacific, including a few episodes of heavy weather.
- November 2001 to May 2002 - Cruised south on my boat from Chesapeake Bay to Charleston, SC, wintered in Charleston, then returned to Chesapeake Bay in the spring. The southbound trip included ICW daysailing plus two overnight offshore passages; I was by myself. The northbound trip was nonstop up the coast from Charleston to Solomons, MD; I had one crewperson.
- November 1999 to July 2000 - Cruised south on my boat from Chesapeake Bay to Daytona Beach, FL, wintered in Florida, then returned to Chesapeake Bay in the spring. The southbound trip included ICW daysailing plus four overnight offshore passages; I had one crewperson. The northbound trip included ICW daysailing plus four overnight offshore passages; I was by myself.
- April 1996 - Took "Liveaboard Cruising" course at Offshore Sailing School, sailed in St. Lucia and Martinique aboard a Beneteau 45 for just over a week.
- March 1989 - Crewed for John Scheib aboard Odysseus, a Hunter 27 sloop, on a voyage from Cabo San Lucas to La Paz, Mexico (on the Gulf of California), for about two weeks.
- Miscellaneous daysailing on Chesapeake Bay and Humboldt Bay (California).